Hey girl, hey!
At Osophē, we (as in the community) are ALL about “the addition of healthy habits” vs. the strict elimination of food/groups. In my coaching experience, I have discovered the gradual addition of habits to be far more effective than extreme, complete diet overhauls. Sure, those can be effective but most of the time they’re not super sustainable (at least not for most). And sustainability is what we’re going for!
What if instead of focusing on everything you “need” to eliminate from your diet, you focus on “adding” instead? What if slowly but surely, meal by meal, you begin adding delicious superfoods that provide your body with mega love -> vitamins and minerals, fibre, protein, and essential fatty acids. What if by adding them gradually, you no longer thought of food as good or bad, stopped the diet train, and started experiencing food freedom?! Yes, this can happen and I believe that it can absolutely happen for you!
So where do you start?! Great question. You can start right now, today, in this very moment. Start with adding super, whole foods gradually, overtime. Since this Summer is ALL about the SHINE – these Top 10 Superfoods are being highlighted because of their specific properties that help to bring on the glow. Pick 1 or 2 and start adding them in this week. It can truly be that simple!
Top 10 Superfoods for the Summer
- Water – water makes up 60% (or more) of the human body, so drink it up if you want to feel good! Aim for 1/2 of your body weight (in lb) in ounces per day. If that hurts your head, try and drink at least 2L per day and add a bit more if your job is really physical or if you exercise!
- Salmon (Wild is best*) – salmon is super high in omega-3 fatty acids, an essential fatty acid our body doesn’t produce – so we need to get it from the food we eat. Omega-3’s are anti-inflammatory, boost brain health and help you hair and skin shine. Plus, salmon is a complete protein which helps to build and repair your muscles and cells.
- Walnuts – walnuts are high in antioxidants (a.k.a. cell boosters) and are a plant-source of omega-3 essential fatty acids. In addition, they contain fibre and protein making them a pretty powerful snack. Aim for raw sources, as roasted and salted destroy a lot of the nutrients!
- Berries – berries are SO tasty and packed with water, fibre and antioxidants. They’re low in sugar, so in addition to helping power up your cells they’re also great for blood sugar balance, a healthy insulin-response and energy!
- Cacao – who doesn’t love chocolate? Thing is though, it’s not all created equal. Cacao is the ‘go-to’ source for super-star status. It contains fibre, to help keep your gut glowing; magnesium which helps to soothe stress and calm your nervous system and it’s another great source of anti-oxidants which again, helps you get that shine!
- Avocado – avocado is, in my opinion, the superfood of superfoods! It’s delicious and you can add it to almost anything. Smoothies, soups, sauces, + dips … you name it! It’s another great source of omega-3 fatty acids, B6 (which is essential for reproduction health & libido), and riboflavin which helps the body break down fats, carbohydrates and protein into energy. Who doesn’t want that?
- Spinach – get those greens girl! Spinach is a great source of vitamin K, A and E; as well as, manganese, folate and copper. It’s very mild tasting which makes it great for smoothies, adding into baked goods, or soups and sauces. Plus, it’s modest in price and freezes very well! Spinach is a definite ‘go-to’ for the summer!
- Kale – kale is not old news! It’s just as amazing now as it’s always been. High in protein and fibre, it is sure to fuel and fill you up; plus, it contains folate and alpha-linolenic acid, a plant-based omega-3 fatty acid. Baby kale is a little more sweet tasting making it perfect for the summer.
- Collagen – collagen is ALL the rage right now and for good reason. It is the most abundant form of protein in the body and therefore it’s essential we think about maximizes our stores. Collagen is important for skin elasticity; hair and nail strength; gut health (sealing up permeable spaces in your intestines) and makes up significant components of bone and muscle tissue. When looking for a supplement make sure to pay attention to the source. Organic, grass-fed varieties are best if choosing an animal source, and look for properly sourced, sustainably-chosen marine collagen varieties.
- Chia – yep! You bet your bottom dollar chia made the list. These little powerhouses are still as healthy as ever. They are full of (you guessed it) omega-3 fatty acids, fibre and antioxidants –> there seems to be a trend happening here. Chia is especially wonderful in the summer! Use it to make cooling chia-freshers, chilled chia puddings, and add-it to homemade baked goods (muffins, energy balls and bars) or salad dressings.
Want more motivation? Follow @osophe on Instagram where every Sunday throughout the Summer (series*) I’ll be posting a new superfood to help inspire your week!
Shine on, girl!